CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 16, 2010

Southwest Chicken Salad

I almost didn't make this recipe...
Why??
Because I feel like I have a TON of recipes that are like this one.
But this one is by far the best.
So glad I tried it.

Not only is it easy to put together, but it looks very pretty.
We had it as salad the first night, and nachos for lunch the next day.
Yum. The dressing makes it so good.

*The original recipe called for cubed rotisserie chicken. That would be easy, but I usually don't have one on hand. So I do is cook 4-5 chicken breasts {whatever will fit} in my crockpot. When cooked, I shred or cube the chicken and place it in plastic baggies, or tupperware {depending on how "green" I'm feeling} in about 1-2 cup servings and freeze what I don't need right away. It's fabulous.

*The recipe also calls for roasted red pepper. I had never roasted a pepper before, but decided to try it. It made a huge difference. I just washed and cut the pepper in half. Then take out the seeds. Place cut side down on aluminum foil. I then broiled the pepper for about 3-5 minutes. They burn quickly so after about the first 2 minutes I checked on them. You want them to have a roasted look- a little black but not burned to a crisp.
Southwest Chicken Salad

1 cup cubed rotisserie chicken, or 1 cup previously cooked chicken
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 chopped roasted red pepper
1 cup minced fresh cilantro

Dressing:
3 T. lime juice
3 T. canola oil
4 t. honey
2 t. cumin
1 t. salt
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. pepper

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Serve as a salad, a wrap or nachos.
Yum!

1 comments:

Kylee

yum! I love stuff like this-for sure trying it!

Post a Comment