CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Quinoa: Round Two...

Success!


For how long have we been hearing all about quinoa and how delicious and nutritious and gluten free and protein-y and wonderful and if you want to be healthy you must drink gallons of water and eat lots of quinoa??

For awhile now.

Well about a year ago, I tried it. 
Everyone and every source said to just substitute the quinoa for brown rice.
I made this great "quinoa" pilaf.
It was a disaster.
It was mushy, salty, pretty much one of the worst things I had ever put in my mouth.
The thought of making it again was too much for me and the quinoa got put on the back shelf.

We just moved and my handsome eye-doctor husband has yet to start his job and we are not eligible for student loans any more (hence not being students anymore...perks right!) I am determined to "waste not, want not" and use up the little food storage that we have.

Back to quinoa.

I read up on quinoa and quinoa cooking basics over on the Gluten-Free Goddess.
I thank her for my quinoa success.

So if you are struggling with the grain, or just need a new way to make it here's what we had for dinner last night:

Gluten Free Quinoa Stir Fry

Cook 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water or gluten free chicken broth in your rice cooker.
Chop up your favorite in season veggies.  I used:
1/4 onion
1 green pepper
1 summer squash
3 mushrooms
1/2 bunch of asparagus

I stir-fryed (more like sauteed) the veggies in Zesty Italian salad dressing.  It can not be Fat Free, it must be the regular.  The FF has corn syrup instead of oil so it doesn't sautee the veggies.

When veggies are cooked, remove from heat.  Add quinoa to the pan and stir fry for about 20 or so seconds.  Then add 1 T. balsamic vinegar, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste.  
Add back in the veggies, mix well and serve.
The flavor is delicious.
And so is the aroma that your kitchen will have.
Sorry there aren't exact measurements, this is sorta a made up recipe.

I think the seasonings and vinegar would be a great way to flavor the quinoa to stand alone as a side dish.  

A great summer dinner, enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment